I’m sure you’ve heard a variety of opinions on this topic, something like:
- Sleeping with your bra on could cause sagging.
- Sleeping with your bra on could cause breast cancer.
- Sleeping with your bra on could stunt breast growth.
- Not sleeping with your bra on could cause sagging.
Yet, these are all just that, opinions, and when it comes to your health, your source of information should be science.
So, what does science say?
According to Johns Hopkins Medicine, and other reliable sources, there is no scientific evidence to support such claims about sleeping with your bra on.
“Sleeping in a bra will not make a girl's breasts perkier or prevent them from getting saggy. And it will not cause a girl to develop cancer or stunt her breast growth. (It's also not true that underwire bras cause breast cancer.)” - Johns Hopkins Medicine, website.
In fact, some women that have larger, lumpy, or painful breasts, may be better off heading to bed with a bra on. This is because the structure of the bra would restrict breast movement and thus alleviate pain, or allow for more comfortable and undisturbed sleep.
What do you need to watch out for?
These are a few things you need to watch out for:
- Ensure the bra you sleep in is not too tight, such that it digs into your skin, to avoid breast irritation or disrupted sleep.
- Make sure you are wearing the right bra for your breast size. This can very often be a point of confusion for women, if so, visit a department store and get yourself measured.
If you are more comfortable sleeping with your bra on, then you have no problems. However, it is recommended that you go for a lightweight, perhaps non-underwire bra for the sake of your comfort, and to avoid breast irritation.
If you are looking for a way to prevent breast sagging, then try some exercises that target the suspensory ligaments (the ligaments which support your breasts).
Exercises to prevent breast sagging
1. Good old plank!
2. Plank reach under
3. Push ups!
4. Cobra Pose
5. Upward facing dog pose